LANDINGSLAGET LIBRARY AND SUGGESTED READINGS LIST
These items are owned by the lag and/or individual members:
Boka om Land (Books about Land)
These are bygdebøker (bygd books), and all bear the same main title
Vol. I-Kolsrud, Oluf, and Reidar T. Christiansen. Oslo: Bokhandelen Cammermeyers Boghandel, 1948. This volume deals with the physical geography, anthropology, statistical data, and related subjects on the area.
- Vol. II-Kolsrud, Oluf, and Reidar T. Christisnsen. Oslo: Bokhandelen Cammermeyers Boghandel, l952. Here is a description of the development of the cultural and social life of the Land district.
- Vol. III-Schilbred, C. S. Subtitle: Gårdshistorie for Søndre Land. Oslo: A. W. Brøggers Boktrykkeri A/S., 1962. This work is a history of each numbered farm in Hov parish.
- Vol. IV-Sandaker, Arvid. Subtitle: Utvandringen til Amerika fra Nordre og Søndre Land 1839-1915. Dokka, Mariendal Tryk. for Lands Museum, 1973. The emigration of people from North and South Land to America is the topic of this volume. The list of immigrants in the book was supplemented in articles found in Landingen Årbøker, 1982-1988, 1990, compiled by Birger Olsen. Both are available in their entirety in the "Members Only" section of this website.
- Vol. V-Schilbred, C. S. Subtitle: Gards- og slektshistorie for Fluberg. Dokka, Mariendal Tryk. for Lands Museum, 1981. This volume is the farm and family history of Fluberg.
- Vol. VI-Bjørlien, Ole Helmer Engelien. Subtitle: Skogbrukshistorie for Land. Dokka: Lands Museum, 1995. This work is the history of forestry in Nordre and Søndre Land.
- Vol. VII Engen, Arne. Subtitle: Folketoner fra Land. Edited by Helge Bratlien, Arnold Fodnestø, Knut Odden, Vidar Fredheim, and Kari Nordal. Dokka: Lands Museum, 1996. This title is about the history of folk music in Land.
- Vol. VIII Ødegaard, Svein-Erik. Subtitle: Gård- og slektshistorie for Nordsinni. Dokka: Lands Museum, 1997. This is the farm and family history of Nordsinni.
- Vol. IX Ødegaard, Svein-Erik. Subtitle: Gård- og slektshistorie for Torpa A. Nordre Land Kommune, 2002. This is the farm and family history of Torpa farms 46-76. Known as West Torpa until 1800.
- Vol. X Ødegaard, Svein-Erik. Subtitle: Gård- og slektshistorie for Torpa B. Nordre Land Kommune, 2002. This is the farm and family history of Torpa farms 77-107. Known as East Torpa until 1800.
- Vol. XV Østsinni, Ødegaard, Svein-Erik. Nordre Land Kommune, 2008. This is the farm and family history of Østsinni farms.
- Vol. XVII Dokka, Ødegaard, Svein-Erik. Nordre land Kommune, 2011. This is the history of the village of Dokka.
- Vol. XVIII Odnes, Kompelien, Kåre. Nordre Land Kommune, 2012. This is the history of the hamlet of Odnes.
- Aasen, Robert. Even A. Nelson.
- Baumgarten, Howard. Quarum.
- Brennum, Clara. My Life. Printed and bound by John C. Monson, Green River, WY, 1997.
- Christianson, Charles N., and Ted Larson., comp. Christianson Family History (Charles and Bertha Christianson. Monticello and Plymouth, MN, 1998.
- Davison, Lavon and Ann Edwards. Askild Komperud and Berte Marin Olsdatter.
- Edwards, Ann Ryall. The Andrew Gaarder Bertha Tandberg Family. Burlington, WI: The author, 1991.
- Edwards, Ann Ryall. The Askild M. Komperud—Berthe Olsdatter Family (Ashel, Enger, Gaarder, Nanstad, Nysted, Olsbye, Roum). Burlington, WI: The author, 2012.
- Enger farm in Nordre Land (in Norwegian).
- Wien, Leif. Gaarder
- Gilbertson, Walter. Hans & Guri Fossum.
- Gilbertson, Walter. Kristian and Gurina Fossum.
- Gilbertson, Walter. Arne and Marit Fossum.
- Goplin, Ed. Nils L. Hanson.
- Goplin, Ed. Josephine Johnson Goplen birthday book 1860-1948.
- Hansen, Ron. Hansen/Berthelsen, Jorsensen, Wek, Olsen
- Johnson, Ella. From Ringsaker, Norway to Holmen, WI: The Oleson-Black Family. 1986.
- Lanning Webster, Beverly. Lanning Family, Ancestors and Descendants of Syver and Berte Lanning. Willmar, MN: The author, 1990.
- Monson, Cecil M. My Life As I Saw It: An Autobiography. Ed. John C. Monson. Green River, WY: Monson Familie Forlagbokshandel, 1995.
- Myer, Susan and Hanson, Brad. Ellingson/Besteland/Hanson (Carpio ND)
- Olson, Curtis. Larsstuen-Olson Family Tree.
- Olson, Richard, comp. Larsstuen-Olson Family Tree. With previous publication and updating by Marie Olson, Velma Pederson, and Margaret Chapman Pederson. n.p., 1998. (Compiled and updated for Olson annual family reunions.)
- Rossings: Their Story 1870-1970 (2 copies)
- Rowe, Irene Olson and Eileen Olson. Hanson Family Tree (Dodgeville)
- Rowe, Irene Olson and Eileen Olson. Hanson, Johnson, Olson Family Tree.
- Rowe, Irene Olson and Eileen Olson. Sather Family Tree, June 2004
- Swenson, Alf A. A 150 Year Anniversary celebration in Land, Norway. St. Cloud, MN: The author, 1992.
- Swenson, Alf A. Alf Swenson Remembers: A letter to my grandchildren. St. Cloud, MN: The author, 1991.
- Swenson, Alf A. How I happen to be an American. Decorah, IA: The Anundsen Publishing Co., 1985.
- Swenson, Alf A. My Father’s Brother in Norway. St. Cloud, MN: The author, 1992.
- Swenson, Alf A. A 100 Year Anniversary Celebration in Land, Norway: 1989 Landing’s Laget Stevne at Dokka & Hov, Norway. St. Cloud, MN: The author, n.d.
- Swenson, Alf A. Unusual Ancestors; Stories from the lives of Pernille Hansdatter, Hans Tollefsrud, Hovel Tollefsrud and John Wien. St. Cloud, MN: The author, 1992.
- Swenson, Helen Greenli. The Landings Scatter. Bismarck, ND: Conrad Publ., 1972. Jøranlien
- Thomle, Erik Andreas. Familien Thomle–genealogiske og personalhistoriske oplysninger: Nogle historiske efterretninger om Gaarden Thomle og dens beboere gjennem 400 aar. Kristiania: W. C. Fabritius & Sønner a/s, 1913.
- Webster, Beverly Lanning. Lanning.
- Wien, Leif A. Gården og Slekten Enger m/fl. I Nordre land. Gjøvik: Intersats, 1984.
- Hilda and Johannes Buskum (b.1886) and descendants
- Culbertson, Carol A. and Jerry Paulson. A Research Guide for Norwegian Genealogy for Beginning and Experienced Genealogists. Madison, WI: Norwegian-American Genealogical Center and Naeseth Library.
- Bukke, Inger M., and Finn A. Thomsen. Feast Day Calendar for Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Protestant Germany. Bountiful, UT: Thomsen’s Genealogical Center, n.d.
- Computer Programs Personal Ancestral File (PAF) 2.31 for IBM; Roots III and IV; Family Origins 6.0; and Family Tree Maker 6.0.
- How and Where to Find Your Ancestors (Brochure).
- How to Trace Your Ancestors in Norway (Brochure).
- Individual Genealogy Chart Printouts from Carol Olson’s genealogy project.
- Land Church Records. Microfilm copies are also in Vesterheim Genealogical Center, Madison, WI.
- Landings Lag: The First 100 Years. Edited by Ann Ryall Edwards. 2010.
- Landings Lag Genealogy Database
- Probate Record Index Printouts, Oluf. Norske gaardnavne. Kristiania: W. C. Fabritius, 1897-1924. This twenty-volume set lists the Norway farms by county, district, parish, and number. Vol. 4 (Kristians Amt), part 2, pp. 179-219 covers the district of Land. This set continues as one of the best tools for identification and location of farm places. Boka om Land refers to these same farm numbers.
- Smith, Frank, and Finn A. Thomsen. Genealogical Guidebook & Atlas of Norway. Logan, UT: Everton Publishing, 1979.
- Vestoppland Slektshistorielags Tidsskrift, 1992-date.
- Vestre Toten 1875 Census.
- Wellauer, Maralyn A. Tracing Your Norwegian Roots. Milwaukee, WI: The author, 1979. This is a good guide for the beginning genealogy researcher.
CHURCH and COMMUNITY HISTORIES
- Past and Present of Allamakee County, Iowa, by Ellery M. Hancock
- Apple Grove Lutheran Church, Argyle, WI (Layfayette County) 1893-1968
- Audubon, MN Centennial 1893-1993
- St. Peters Lutheran, Audubon; First Lutheran, Audubon; Augustana, Detroit Lakes, MN
- First Lutheran, Audubon 125th anniversary 1872-1997
- family histories and Saron Norwegian Evangelical history 1889-1960
- Land Immigrants to Bode, Iowa
- Bode, Iowa Centennial
- Coon Valley Lutheran Church: 150 years 1853-2003
- Crow River Lutheran, Belgrade, MN 1861-1986
- Delafield Cemetery 1871-1991 Includes genealogical information
- Elfsburg Lutheran Church, Colfax Township, Pocahontas County, Iowa 1873-1948
- Five Points Lutheran Richland County, WI 1861-1961
- Hayward Lutheran Church, Albert Lea, MN 125th anniversary
- Lands Lutheran, Zumbrota, MN 1867-1992 (125th anniversary)
- Luther Valley Centennial 1939
- Index to the History of Luther Valley, A Pioneer Lutheran Church By the Rock County Historical Society
- Luther Valley Cemetery
- Plymouth and Newerk Townships, Rock County, WI
- Luther Valley Family Today (2000) Church directory
- Nidaros Lutheran Church, Minnehaha County, S.D.125th anniversary
- East and West Nidaros, Baltic Lutheran, Renner Lutheran
- Northfield Township, WI Sesquicentennial 1857-2007
- Norway Lake Lutheran Church, Kandiyohi County, MN
- Otter Creek Lutheran Church, Dodgeville, WI
- List of Pioneer families at Luther Valley
- Folder of church highlights
- East and West Paint Creek, Waterville and Waukon, IA:Centennial of Reorganization 1886-1986
- Old East and West Paint Creek organized 1850
- Richland County Cemetery Lists (2 copies)
- Soldier Lutheran, Soldier, IA 125th Anniversary 1870-1995
- St. Olaf Lutheran, Minnewauken, ND 1888-1988
- Trinity Lutheran, Grant Township, Pocahontas County, Iowa 1878-1953
- Westby-Coon Prairie 1851-2001
- Wiota Luthan Church, South Wayne, WI 1844-1979
- Woodford, WI (Lafayette County) 1847-1965
- Pamphlet 50-Årsjubileet for Frigjøringen, 8 May 1945, courtesy of Finn Hanvold at 1995 Stevne, Wahpeton, ND
- Book, Key to Norway.
- Pamphlet Lokal Krighistorie Fra Søndre Land, Andre Verdenskrig, 1940-45, courtesy of Finn Hanvold at 1995 Stevne, Wahpeton,ND.
- Pamphlet-"Northfield Township Celebrates its Heritage, 1857-2007 Sesquicentennial Celebration held Sept 2, 2007 in Northfield, WI. donated by David Olson at 2009 Stevne, River Falls, WI.
- NAF Veibok.
- Norge i 1905.
- Book – Norske Folkedansar by Klara Semb, published Oslo 1985. Personal note written inside front cover: “To our guests at Lands Museum. Read this book and remember your inheritance from Norway. We wish you the best for the future and we welcome you back! Enjoy your stay in Norway”, members of Nordsinni Ungdomslag, 2000. Given to Landings Lag in 2000 by director of Nordsinni Ungdomslag, Anne Terningen at Lands.Museum, Dokka, Norway, accepted by Lag President, Oscar Lund.
GENERAL MAPS OF NORWAY
- Norge 1:50,000 Topografisk Hovedkartserie M-711.
Five of these topographical maps cover Nordre and Søndre Land. They show farm names and parishes (the crosses indicate churches).
- 1716-I (Bruflat) shows farms of Nordre Land west of Dokka.
- 1816-IV (Dokka) shows the area east of Map # 1716-I and north of Dokka.
- 1816-I (Gjøvik) shows the area east of Map # 1816-IV to Gjøvik.
- 1816-III (Skjellingshovde) Søndre Land shows the area south of #1816-I and west of Randsfjorden.
- 1816-II (Eina) shows the area west of #1816-III and west of Randsfjorden.
- Nordre Land Kommune Plane 1921-2002, donated by Geir Loeng, Dokka, Norway, 1996
- Kommune Planens Arealdel, donated by Geir Loeng, Dokka, Norway, 1996
EXTENDED MEMBER LIBRARY(MEMBERS WHO OWN THE ITEMS ARE NOTED)
- Engelien, Ola, and Håkon Solum. Itte sæint atte je ar kvæint: Dialektord og uttrykk fra Søndre Land. Lands Museum Særpublikasjon Nr. 1. Dokka and Hov: Lands Museum and Søndre Land Kulturkontor, 1994. LAND ARCHIVES.
- Landings Laget. Land-i-Amerika. This is the current newsletter of Landings Laget. It superseded Randsfjord Fuglen. Editors of the newsletter have been Borghild Olson, Helen Vinje, Calvin Pederson, Carol and Ray Olson, and Ann Edwards LAND ARCHIVES, ANN EDWARDS, CAROL AND RAY OLSON.
- Landings Laget. Secretaries' Minutes, Landings-Laget 1910-1975. The original book, in Norwegian thru 1971, is on deposit at NAHA, St Olaf College, Northfield, MN. A copy translated by Helen Vinje is in the History File and has been digitized. CURRENT SECRETARY.
- Lands Museum. Landingen Årboker. 1976 to date. Gjøvik: Oppland-trykk. Here are found excellent essays on various subjects pertaining to Land. CAROL AND RAY OLSON (1976-1977, 1979-1980- date); THELMA JOHNSON (1983; 1993).
- Loken, Gulbrand. From Fjord to Frontier: A History of the Norwegians in Canada. Published by McClelland and Stewart Ltd. in association with the Multiculturalism Directorate, Department of the Secretary of State and Canadian Government Publishing Centre, Supply and Services Canada. 1980. THELMA JOHNSON.
- Njus, N. J., and Mons Sotendahl. Festskrift Kirkelige Arbeide Norway Lake fra 1862-1916 (also translation). THELMA JOHNSON.
- Olson, Carol A., Ray A. Olson, and Ann Ryall Edwards, comp. Landings across the Ocean: A Collection of Essays by Norwegian Americans and Norwegians with Roots in Land, Oppland Fylke (County), Norway. St. Paul, MN: Landings Laget of America, 1997. SOLD TO LANDINGS LAGET MEMBERS AND OTHER INTERESTED PARTIES; DEPOSITED IN NORWEGIAN- AMERICAN LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES COLLECTIONS.
- Sandaker, Arvid. "Emigration from Land Parish to America, 1866-1875." In Norwegian-American Studies, Vol. 26, pp. 49-74. Northfield, Minnesota: NAHA, 1974. CAROL AND RAY OLSON.
- Søndre Land Kommune. Søndre Land Kommune 1837-1987: 150 å lokal folkestyre. Gjøvik: Oppland- Trykk, 1987. CAROL OLSON.
- Ulvestad, Martin. Norge i Amerika med kart (Norway in America with Map). Minneapolis, MN: Norge i Amerika Pub. Co., 1901. Here one can check for an American community and find a list of some of the Norwegian inhabitants. Norwegian-American leaders in a given locale are pointed out. OSCAR LUND, CAROL AND RAY OLSON.
- Ulvestad, Martin. Nordmændene i Amerika, deres historie og rekord (Norsemen in America, Their History and Record). 2 vols. Minneapolis, MN: History Book Company's Forlag, 1906-1913. Volume I gives a history of the settlements and discusses various accomplishments of the settlers. A list of those who fought in the Civil War is included. Last, there is a compilation of Norwegian towns and areas with emigrants' names and where they lived in America at the time of publication. Volume 2 is a biographical index. THELMA JOHNSON, CAROL & RAY OLSON.
- Ulvestad, Martin. Norsk Amerikaneren, Vikings and their Descendants. 1930. OSCAR LUND.
- Waslien, Peter S., ed. Landings-Bogen (Book of the Landings). Decorah, IA.: Anundsen Publishing, 1924. A list of members of Landings Laget, genealogies, and some pictures are included. OSCAR LUND, CAROL AND RAY OLSON.
SUGGESTED READINGS FOR FURTHER RESEARCH
These items may be found in libraries which collect Norwegian-American works; some are also owned by the lag and/or individual members:
Lovoll, Odd S. The Promise of America: A History of the Norwegian-American People. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press, 1984. It contains extensive bibliography for further historical reading.
- Lovoll, Odd S. The Promise Fulfilled: A Portrait of Norwegian Americans Today. Minneapolis, MN: Published by the University of Minnesota Press in cooperation with the Norwegian-American Historical Association, 1998.
- Norlie, Olaf M. A History of the Norwegian People in America. Minneapolis, MN: Augsburg Publishing House, 1925.
- Norwegians to America. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget, 1984. This is a delightful little book about emigrating Norwegians. The first part relates, through their correspondence with the homeland, the settlement of a brother and sister in America. The second part is a compact overview of the Norwegian-American saga.
- Our Norwegian Immigrants: A Hundred-Year Saga Told in Pictures-Utvandrerne til Amerika: Deres historie i bilder. Ed. Jon Thallaug and Rolf Erickson. Oslo: Dreyers Forlag, 1978.
- Semmingsen, Ingrid. Norway to America: A History of the Migration. Trans. Einar Haugen. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota, 1978.
- Semmingsen, Ingrid. Veien mot vest: Utvandringen fra Norge til Amerika (The Way West: Emigration from Norway to America). 2 vols. Oslo: Aschehoug, 1942-1950. Vol. 1: 1825-65; vol.2: 1865-19l5.
- Skårdal, Dorothy B. The Divided Heart: Scandinavian Immigrant Experience through Literary Sources. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press, 1974. An extensive bibliography of Scandinavian- American literature is a unique feature of this book.
- Lovoll, Odd S. A Folk Epic: The Bygdelag in America. Boston, MA: Published for the Norwegian- American Historical Association (NAHA) by Twayne Publishers, 1975. Its bibliography covers a wide assortment of publications about bygdelags.
- Slagsvold, P. A., ed. Bygdelagenes Fellesraad årbok og julehilsen 1929 (Yearbook and Christmas Greeting, 1929). Minneapolis, MN: 1929. A brief history of most of the active bygdelags is included.
- Veblen, Andrew A. "The Bygdelag Movement." In the Valdres Book, pp. 44-90. Minneapolis: Author, 1920.
GENERAL NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY AIDS
- Thomsen, Finn A. Scandinavian Genealogical Research Manual. 3 vols. in 1. Bountiful, UT: Thomsen's Genealogical Center, 1980.
- Vol. 1-Danish-Norwegian Language Guide and Dictionary.
- Vol. 2-The Old Handwriting and Names of Denmark and Norway.
- Vol. 3-Danish-Norwegian Genealogical Research Sources. This is an excellent aid to have on hand when one consults old parish records on microfilm. The handwriting guide is very helpful in figuring out the sometimes faded script from an ancient pen.